wave's word

Monday, August 21, 2006

MONDAY MEMORY: Baking homemade chocolate chip cookies

I have enjoyed baking chocolate chip cookies with all my kids and now with my grandchildren. Today I'm remembering baking with Tanya my last child. I don't remember the first time we baked but I remember it became a routine for awhile. It started because Tanya cried when her big brother and sister got on the bus for school. I said "let's make cookies for after school snack" sometimes we made something else for snack.(you can't eat cookies everyday).

Making cookies from scratch requires many ingredients and many kitchen equipment tools = Many dishes to wash. Why then spend the time? for memories, sharing, bonding, learning, listening and growing together. Oops! I forgot one thing - having fun (I forgot that alot lately) I had fun with my kids. It's fun to sift flour and get it in your hair. It is fun to eat the dough and lick buttery fingers. Watching cookies in the oven with anticipation of their scrumptious taste. Tanya bounced with excitement when her brother and sister came home. (even without the cookies) she would sing out between bouncing "look what I made, look what I made"
The look of satisfaction on her chubby cheeks is worth the mess. I hope she remembers our time together. I hope she makes cookies with her own kids.

A simple thoughtful act by someone I barely know brought forth this memory by sending me a note and a box of homemade cookies. She misses baking cookies with her daughter too. We have many other memories since baking and more to come.
How precious is each day and moment we spend together. Choose well how we spend it.


4 Comments:

  • I loved this memory!! I also sometimes forget to have fun while doing things with the kids. Everything becomes so busy and rushed. Thanks for the reminder (and for baking with my kids too!!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 AM  

  • Very good memory!! It's true, I rush through things to get them done and forget that the best parts are the in-betweens.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:38 PM  

  • I always enjoyed cooking with my mom. I still do. I liked the cleaning part, she would make the mess as I cleaned up while she was making the mess so that there would be no mess when we were done.

    By Blogger Meggles, at 6:26 PM  

  • I have made cookies 2 times this week and tomorrow will make 3!! Thanks again for reminding me!

    By Blogger momsmusings, at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home